“Baja delle Sirene” B&B
The property was constructed between 1750 and 1848, similar to all the other palaces on the island. Various layers of foundations, dating back to between 2000 and 3000 history years ago are still clearly visible today. An example is the Hypogeum of de Beaumont Bonelli – Bellacicco building which nowadays hosts the “Museo Spartano” of Taranto.
Portions of flooring still visible inside the B&B prove that there were historical homes in the second half of XXth century belonging to De Gennaro family, owners of all the Taranto Cinemas as well as most of the downtown bars. During the 60s the De Gennaro family decided to leave the building and move to the other side of the “Ponte Girevole” – the famous revolving bridge – since the old town was becoming more and more isolated. When the “Ilva” industry started its activity and downtown became larger, the “Borgo Antico” (Old town) suddenly enjoyed a rebirth. During the years the old town center recovers its dignity and its true identity of “Borgo Antico”.
Il Palazzo Barion Santamato
XVIIIth century barrel-shaped vault
The B&B logo is inspired by a French coin forged in 1762 by Luis XIV
The B&B logo is inspired by a French coin forged in 1762 by Luis XIV usually used for transportation and maritime commercial activities in some colonies or departments at that time. To this purpose, mermaids and caravels have a strong meaning related to the maritime trade. Actually, the history of Taranto is very much connected to francophones, Our French cousins shared with us not only the passion for the sea but especially the “bay” of the notorious Gulf of Taranto, where the mermaids’ myth legend is hosted.